Citibank Cash Back Credit Card
Best for Dining & Grocery
Citibank Cash Back Credit Card
Dining, Groceries & Fuel
Citibank is offering a cashback credit card promising an 8% cash rebate. It seems too good to be true, so there must be a catch. Hence, in this article, we took the initiative to review their offers. In addition, we also compare the Citi Cash Back Card with other credit cards to see if it is as good as claimed.
Citibank Cash Back Credit Card Rewards
Outstanding Cashback. Citi Cash Back Card lets you save money each time you pay for dining and groceries anywhere in the world. More importantly, the cashback rate is among the highest among all credit cards.
Huge Fuel Savings. Each a generous cashback on petrol transactions. Even better, you can receive up to 20.88% savings when you fuel up at Esso or Shell, plus a cash rebate.
Local and Overseas Shopping Privileges. Avail of special deals and discounts on travel, services, and other retail purchases within Singapore and overseas.
Easy Installments. Convert big purchases into small, manageable monthly payments. Not only that, but you also have the choice of converting your credit card retail balance into installments too.
Quick Cash Loans. In case you need money, withdrawing a cash advance is easy.
- How does the Citi Cash Back Card cashback program work?
Total Rebate per month
5.75% + 0.25%
7.75% + 0.25%
7.75% + 0.25%
- Paying for bills in Singapore and overseas is convenient because Citi Cash Back Card is a Mastercard. Generally, you receive a 0.25% rebate on all spending. If you paid for dining, you also receive a 5.75% bonus cash rebate. The total cashback, in this case, would be 6%. It gets better when you spend on groceries because the total cash rebate would be up to 8%.
- The Citi Cash Back Card is also one of the best cards you can use for petrol. You can maximize your savings by filling up at Esso and Shell stations, in which you receive more rebates instead of only 8%.
- The total savings could be up to 20.88%, broken down as follows:
- 5% site discount
- 5% Esso Smiles or Shell Escape discount
- 4% Citi cashback card discount
- 8% cash back on the net purchase after discounts
- Citi Cash Back credit card perks and benefits are not exclusive to Singapore. You earn a cashback even when shopping, dining, or refueling overseas. But for you to avail of rebates, you would need minimum spending of S$800 per month.
- Citibank also provides generous travel coverage when you use your Citi Cash Back card to pay for air travel tickets.
For accidental death or permanent disability, you can receive these benefits:
Sum Insured per Person
Principal or Supplementary Cardmember
The travel insurance also covers:
- Medical Assistance
- Medical & accidental dental expenses incurred overseas
- Emergency medical evacuation
- Travel Inconveniences
- Baggage loss
- Baggage delay
- Flight delay
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption
- 6% cash back on restaurants and cafes worldwide
- 8% cash back on grocery stores and supermarkets worldwide
- Up to 20.88% off on petrol transactions at Esso and Shell
- 8% cashback on other petrol stations worldwide
- 0.25% cashback on all other spends
- Up to S$1 million complimentary travel insurance
- Has a monthly cap of S$80 across all categories
- Other than dining, groceries, and petrol, the 0.25% cashback on retail purchases is low
How to Apply
21 years old and above
Singapore and Permanent Residents
|Fee waiver||Waive for First Year|
|Annual Interest Rate||26.9% p.a.|
|Late Payment Fee||S$100|
|Cash Advance Fee||$15 or 6%, whichever is highest|
|Minimum Monthly Spend / Monthly Payment:||1% of the current balance plus 1% of outstanding installment amounts plus interest charges plus late payment fee, or S$50, whichever is higher|
|Foreign Currency Transaction Fee||3.25%|
- A copy of your NRIC/passport
- Latest original computerized payslip or Tax Notice of Assessment or last 12 months’ CPF statements
- A copy of your NRIC/passport
- Last 2 years’ Income Tax Notice of Assessment
- Last 3 months’ bank statements
- A copy of your passport and work permit (with minimum 6 months validity)
- A copy of utility/telephone bill or bank statement with your name and address
- Income Tax Notice of Assessment and latest original computerized payslip
Disclaimer: This information may differ from what you see when you visit other financial service websites or the product’s official site, but Loan Advisor continues to keep every detail updated and accurate. This site may be compensated through third-party advertisers. However, the results of our comparison tools which are not marked as sponsored will always be based on objective analysis.
How Citi Cash Back Card Compare with Other Singapore Cashback Cards
OCBC Frank Card and UOB One Card are two of the more popular alternatives to Citibank Cash Back Card.
Citi Cash Back Card
6% rebate on dining
8% rebate on groceries
20.88% rebate on petrol
S$80 per month
S$800 per month
OCBC Frank Card
6% rebate on mobile payments
6% rebate on foreign currency spend
S$75 per month (S$25 per category)
S$600 per month
UOB One Card
10% rebate on 7-Eleven, Cold Storage, Grab, Guardian, Shopee, and more
S$300 per quarter
S$2,000 per month
Our Verdict on Citi Cash Back Card
Citi Cash Back Mastercard is easy and convenient to use, regardless of where you are in the world. Each time you make an eligible purchase, you earn a cashback plus bonus discount(s).
On the maximum cash you can earn back, UOB One Card has arguably the highest potential. Nevertheless, Citi Cash Back Card is not far behind. Between these two cards (and others), why should you choose Citibank?
For one, the minimum spend of S$800 is modest and should be easy for most consumers. And yes, there is that S$80 monthly cap. Unlike cards such as OCBC Frank Card, there is no category restriction with a S$25 cap per category. This feature is especially beneficial if, for example, you use your card to pay for 1 or 2 types exclusively.
In this Citibank Cash Back Card review, we think it is one of the best choices for casual spenders. More specifically, it is most suitable for dining, grocery, and petrol.
Why This Card Citi Cash Back Is Perfect for You
If you are a frequent traveler, Citi Cash Back Card is not your best choice. As someone spending S$2000 or more, this card is not the right card too. And, if you prefer the luxurious lifestyle benefits afforded by premium credit cards, this is not the right card.
Citi Cash Back Card, though, is the perfect choice if you spend somewhere in the vicinity of S$800 a month. For daily commodities and expenses, it is tough to find a better card.
Consider its benefits:
- 6% rebate on dining – restaurants, and cafes – anywhere in the world
- 8% cashback on groceries worldwide
- Up to 20.88% savings on Esso and Shell petrol stations within and outside Singapore
- One million coverage on travel overseas
For these categories, use the Citi Cash Back Card for maximum cash rebates.
At Loan Advisor, you can find tips and money management techniques to grow your money. At the same time, you can also request personal loan quotes from top licensed moneylenders to consolidate all credit card debts.
Take advantage of the much lower interest charges to save you hundreds to thousands of dollars. Request free loan quotes now!
You earn cash rebates for products or services anywhere in the world paid on credit card terminals set up with Merchant Category Codes (MCCs) for specific categories. These are dining, grocery, and food.
You can earn cash rebates from merchants with their credit card terminals set up with Merchant Category Codes (MCCs). Expressly, these MCCs should qualify for dining, grocery, and petrol transactions.
- MCC 5811 (Caterers)
- MCC 5812 (Eating Places, Restaurants)
- MCC 5814 (Fast Food Restaurants)
- MCC 5411 (Grocery Stores, Supermarkets)
- MCC 5541 (Service Stations)
- MCC 5542 (Automated Fuel Dispensers)
Yes, there are exclusions.
- Annual, interest, and late payment fees; installment, easy, extended, or equal payment plans; preferred payment plans; balance transfers; cash advances; quasi-cash transactions; Citibank and third-party charges
- Funds transfer using the Citi Cash Back Card as the source of funds
- Bill payments to educational institutions; government institutions and services, insurance companies, financial institutions, and non-profit organizations
- Betting or gambling
- Top-ups or payments through/to payment service providers, prepaid cards, and prepaid accounts
- Transit-related transactions
A full and updated list of transactions can be found here.
Apart from logging into your account on the Citibank website, you can download and install the Citi Mobile App on Google’s Play Store or Apple’s App Store.
Every dollar earned in rebate is equivalent to S$1. Citibank computes and credits cash rebates to cardholders’ accounts monthly. Once you accumulate S$50 or more, you will see it reflected on your next statement month.
Some purchases or payments do not qualify for cashback. These include:
- Annual fee, interest charge, late payment fee, GST, cash advance, quasi cash transactions, and more
- Fund transfers using the Citi Cash Back Card as the source of funds
- Bill payments
- Educational institutions
- Government institutions and services such as court cases, fines, bail, bonds, tax, and more
- For more details and a complete list, refer to this page.
Citibank gives you back S$120 when you sign up. However, you have to spend a total of S$1,200 within the first three months.
Customer Top Reviews